Sushi, though a traditional Japanese dish, is pretty familiar now in different countries. But it is difficult to imagine sushi devoid of fishes. Can you give it a thought? Stop raising your eyebrows. This vegan sushi won’t dishearten you. Well, you don’t need to trust my words. Instead, I advise you try it out at least for once.
Now here is an attempt to help you out to recreate the Japanese magic in your kitchen that too in a vegan way. Initially, you have to make the list of the ingredients required. These are simple ones and are easily available in the stores. Then you need to check the method.
First, take a look into the list of ingredients. You need:
• Japanese Rice
• Rice Vinegar (3 tbsp)
• Nori Sheets
• Veggies like carrots, avocados and likewise
• Salt (2 tsp)
• Sugar (3 tbsp)
• Soy Sauce
• Bamboo Rolling Mat
These are few basic ingredients and here the simple type of vegan sushi recipe is shared.
- As we begin the process, start with the Sushi rice. You need to be very careful about rinsing the rice. Rinse it thoroughly and for a couple of times.
- Next, to prepare the rice you can use either instant pot or you can go for the normal way in the stovetop. For instant pot, you need to cook the rice in low pressure and allow to discharge the pressure normally. Be sure about the tenderness of the rice and also about the complete absorption of water. If you are cooking on a stovetop then when the rice in the water starts boiling, lower the heat. Keep it covered and keep cooking for 20 minutes.
- Take a small bowl and mix rice vinegar, salt and sugar together. Take a large bowl and mix the sugar vinegar mixture with the cooked rice. Keep mixing until it is properly combined. Cool-down the mixture. Keep the rice covered with a damp napkin or kitchen towel whichever is available.
- In the meantime chop the veggies in strips along with the tofu. Next, take some oil in the pan and cook the tofu in high flames unless they become crispy. Add a spoonful of soy sauce.
- Last comes the most pivotal part and that is rolling up the sushi. Along the length of the bamboo mat spread the nori sheet. Take a bowl filled with cold water and keep your hands wet. In the centre of the sheet place a handful of rice. Evenly spread the rice across the sheet leaving a small gap in the top-most portion of the sheet.
- Place some veggies and tofu strips over the rice near the lower edge of the nori sheet. Take a small quantity of stuffing. Now place your both thumbs under the mat and with rest of the fingers hold the ingredients. Gradually start rolling up the sheet with the mat. Stay aware so that the ingredients are fully covered by both nori and rice. Roll up completely.
- Remove the bamboo mat and put the sushi roll on the mat. Cut the roll into pieces.
Finally serve the sushi with soy or wasabi sauce and enjoy your sushi meal in a completely healthy way.