Today we are sharing an easy to make vegan cheese recipe. Now while talking about the same, the foremost question comes to our mind is the taste. This recipe does not only give you perfect vegan cheese in just ten minutes, but it will also satisfy your taste buds. So trust us and give it a try! Vegan cheese is cholesterol-free and maybe a good source of protein.
Vegan Cheese Recipe
- Full Fat Coconut Milk- 1 can
- Hot Water- ½ Cup
- Nutritional yeast- 1tbsp + 1tsp
- Salt- 1tsp
- Lemon Juice- ½ tsp
- Agar-agar powder- 2tbsp
- Tapioca Flour/ Starch- 1tsp
- Garlic Powder- 1/4 tsp
If you do not like coconut milk, you may replace it with any plant-based milk and some oil. If you are using oil, don’t add water as well. Use 1 and ¼ cup of plant milk and ½ cup oil instead of the coconut milk and water. But if you intend to avoid coconut milk just for the flavor, trust us the final product does not have it much. Moreover, this is the main ingredient to make the cheese rich and creamy.
Hot water helps to get the correct moisture level and yeast is for the cheesy flavor. It will be cheesier if you add an additional tsp of nutritional yeast.
Adjust the amount of agar-agar powder depending on your choice. That is the main ingredient that makes the cheese more or less firm. Tapioca flour is another ingredient that needs to be adjusted to make the cheese stretcher when it melts. If you want cheese that is good for slicing only 1 tsp agar-agar or tapioca flour is enough. For a very firm, cheese eliminates the tapioca flour altogether. In case you want melted cheese, increase the amount of the flour by 2tbsp.
Garlic powder is optional as it only works as an added flavor. The texture or taste will have no difference.
How to make vegan cheese?
1. Prepare cheese moulds by spraying a glass bowl or container with spray oil. Any neutral-flavoured oil will also work. Keep them aside.
2. Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and stir with a whisk.
3. Then heat the mixture to a slow boil for six minutes. Agar-agar will start melting at this stage and set properly.
4. Keep stirring!
5. Even if it is down with a three-four minute, wait for a couple more to make sure that it is absolutely smooth.
6. Then pour into the moulds.
7. Allow the cheese to come to the room temperature. It may take around 15-20 minutes.
8. Then seal the containers with plastic wrap and put in the freezer for a minimum two hours.