Meghan has been fighting a legal battle against Big Media Houses. Amongst them are Associated Newspaper Ltd, the publisher of the Mail on Sunday, and MailOnline, which produced a part of a letter that was handwritten by Meghan Markle to her estranged father in 2018 August.
Breach of Copyright
Meghan Markle (39) filed a case under the Data Protection Act. The Duchess of Sussex claims that a part of the letter, that she had earlier wrote to her father was published without her consent. She claims that the media house has misused the letter by publishing private information.
‘Personal’ letter aided by the Royal Family
The lawyer of the newspaper has addressed the court saying that the letter which Meghan claims to be personal was drafted from the Kensington Palace press office. In a word, The letter Meghan wrote to her estranged father was Royal Aided.
The lawyers have also lodged to the High Court by ANL said that Jason Knauf and the Kensington Palace communication team had contributed to the letter through electronic drafting. Which in-turn points out that, the letter wrote by Meghan Markle was not her creation or original work, hence it does not breach any kind of copyright.
The document ANL has provided to the court says, “It is for the claimant to prove she was the only person who contributed to the writing of the electronic draft.”
The trial date delayed on Meghan’s request
Mr. Justice Warby delayed the trial date on Meghan Markle’s request last month. The date has been rescheduled to autumn due to some ‘confidential reason’. The trial was supposed to take place in January 2021. Though, the court is standing still on its decision of hearing a summary judgment application in early 2021. Meghan’s lawyer is supposed to come to an argument that ANL’s statements and defence do not qualify at a trial.
Meghan and the media houses
Meghan is battling against 5 articles of ANL, 2 articles of The Mail on Sunday, and 3 on MailOnline. All the articles were published in February 2019.